Python Engineer - Platform
The Bulb Platform team are building a completely Greenfield system for a set of core services responsible for things like Billing, Metering and Account Management. It’s the software at the very heart of Bulb’s business and absolutely vital to both our day-to-day operations and its future ambitions.
As a Python Engineer you will:
- Be a strong advocate for software engineering best practice, taking pleasure from clean code, you have a predilection for TDD, and you’re a fan of pairing.
- Have strong design skills, be capable of conducting design reviews and be familiar with Cloud Patterns and the Microservices architectural style.
- Be able to support software builds and contribute to keeping systems up and running by getting involved in deployment, monitoring and logging.
- Be keen to learn about the idiosyncrasies of the energy industry.
- Be resourceful, and capable of going and figuring out a complex problem which may sometimes only be loosely defined.
- Be able to learn new technologies rapidly, and be able to share that learning with others.
- Be a strong team player who is able to collaborate across teams and departments.
We’re looking for candidates who:
- Have experience of working in Python, Node.Js or Go.
- Have Google Cloud Platform and Kubernetes expertise.
- Have a strong track record of delivery of mission critical software at a first class firm
We use a mix of technologies at Bulb and we have a mindset of picking the best tool for the job rather than railroading technical decision making. We have a strong bias towards open-source and we aim to quickly adopt emerging technologies where we think it will drive improvements for our business.
Some of the technologies we’re currently using in our production stack are:
- Node.js and Typescript (ts-node)
- Python > 3.5 with typehints and coroutines using async/await.
- React/React-Native and the Redux architecture on the front-end.
- MySQL/Postgres for relational data storage. BigQuery for timeseries data.
- Google Cloud Pub/Sub and Kafka for messaging.
- CircleCI for automated builds and staging deployments.
- Kubernetes and Docker for containerization, scheduling and running services.
- Google Cloud Platform for our infrastructure.
As part of your day to day role you will:
- Be working on designing, developing and maintaining software that is fundamental to Bulb’s business, typically providing services that offer an API for our tooling to interact with.
- Be working closely with internal and external stakeholders to rapidly deliver new services, enhancements, and the occasional bug fix.
- Build strong partnerships across the engineering group at Bulb to drive best practice internally.
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organized and autonomous pods. The key features of this structure are:
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the team are working on.
- We’re use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- We reflect the Bulby working culture.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible and friendly environment
- Competitive salary, share options and bonus
- 25 days holiday, with the opportunity to take additional unpaid leave should you need it.
- Enhanced parental leave
- Training budget, healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme
- Great coffee, teas and fruit
Application Closing Date: Wednesday 9th January