Principal Software Engineer
Bulb is the UK's fastest growing energy supplier, providing affordable renewable energy to homes and businesses across the UK. Founded in 2015, Bulb's mission is to help its members reduce their bills and their carbon impact.
Based in the heart of London’s vibrant startup community, we are also the first and only UK energy supplier to achieve B Corp status. We believe people are ready for an energy company they can feel good about.
Bulb cares deeply about helping its industry become a more inclusive and diverse place and we work hard to lead by example in this.
What you'll do at Bulb
At Bulb we want to hire people with the experiences necessary to get going quickly, but who are also interested in learning new things and are comfortable working in a changing environment.
Here are some of the things we think will be valuable, but we're also open-minded. If you recognise yourself any of these traits then we’d love for you to send us an application.
- Expert level knowledge in multiple technologies
- Work with CTO to define long term technical strategy, guidelines and principles, and align multiple teams spanning 20+ engineers across multiple pods
- Take ownership for large projects stretching beyond quarterly planning ensuring successful delivery, but don’t shy away from harder tactical improvements
- Identifies and plans strategic improvements across operation of multiple pods / organisation
- Help us hire and onboard senior and specialist roles and support the growth of engineers across multiple pods.
- Bootstraps new pods ensuring technical alignment at an early stage.
At Bulb we use a wide variety of technologies. While we have core technologies that we work with, we're always trying to pick the best tool for the job, and are always looking at what's on the horizon.
Our stack currently includes, but is not limited to:
- Node, Typescript, Koa, Redux, React, React Native, Webpack, Babel, Flow, GraphQL
- Circle CI, Kubernetes, Docker and Google Cloud Platform
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organized and autonomous pods. The key features of this structure are:
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Scrum/Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the team are working on.
- We use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- We reflect the Bulby working culture.
You will grow in this role over time by:
- Being part of a team with a strong commitment to continuous learning - all employees at Bulb are entitled to 5 days training/conferences of your choice each year, with a £1000 budget.
- Rapidly learning and adopting new technologies.
- We have a continuous open feedback environment which means all Engineers have access to strong mentorship and coaching
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible and friendly environment
- Competitive salary, share options and bonus
- 25 days holiday
- Enhanced parental leave
- Training budget, healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme
- Great coffee, teas and fruit
Application Closing Date: April 2019