Principal Software Engineer
About the team
Bulb is here to help our members cut their energy bills and reduce their carbon emissions. Our product teams make that happen. We’re developing products that will deliver the future of energy - from using AI to read energy meters, to making carbon offsetting fun and simple, from finding out how to get the most from Smart Meter data to helping people get paid for their solar energy. We also power the sign-up journey that helped us become the fastest growing company in the UK last year and the internal tools that let us deliver a Trust Pilot score of 9 out of 10.
At Bulb we want to hire people with the experiences necessary to get going quickly, but who are also interested in learning new things and are comfortable working in a changing environment.
- Expert level knowledge in multiple technologies
- Work with CTO to define long term technical strategy, guidelines and principles, and align multiple teams spanning 20+ engineers across multiple pods
- Take ownership for large projects stretching beyond quarterly planning ensuring successful delivery, but don’t shy away from harder tactical improvements
- Identifies and plans strategic improvements across operation of multiple pods / organisation
- Help us hire and onboard senior and specialist roles and support the growth of engineers across multiple pods.
- Bootstraps new pods ensuring technical alignment at an early stage.
At Bulb we use a wide variety of technologies. While we have core technologies that we work with, we're always trying to pick the best tool for the job, and are always looking at what's on the horizon.
Our stack currently includes, but is not limited to:
- Node, Typescript, Koa, Redux, React, React Native, Webpack, Babel, Flow, GraphQL
- Circle CI, Kubernetes, Docker and Google Cloud Platform
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organized and autonomous pods. The key features of this structure are:
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Scrum/Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the team are working on.
- We use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- We reflect the Bulby working culture.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy.
- Training budget of £1000 a year, plus five working days to spend on professional or personal development. You can use this for training courses, books or conferences.
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more.
- After a year at Bulb, you can take an additional month of unpaid leave to travel, work on personal projects or simply to recharge and reboot.
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave.
- We all own a bit of Bulb.
- Activities to improve your mental and physical well being including office yoga, meditation and Sanctus coaching.
- Healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme and a cycle to work scheme.
Date of posting: 25th June 2019
Application Closing Date: 30th August 2019
Competitive Salary Applies