React Native Mobile Engineer
We’re Bulb, an independent and renewable energy supplier. We have developed a unique operating model to provide affordable renewable energy to UK homes and businesses. Technology is at the very core of both our business and our members' experiences. We’re also the first and only UK energy supplier to achieve B Corp status.
We work in project-based sprints in integrated teams and encourage an open and transparent working environment. As an engineer you’ll be able to get involved in any aspect of the business you are interested in.
You’d be working in a multi disciplinary team with developers, testers, designers, product managers and subject matter experts. We’ve got ambitious targets for customer self-service and we’re always looking for innovative and exciting new ideas.
We love the following tech but we don’t expect everybody to be an expert in all of them from day one:
- React Native for a shared codebase across iOS and Android
- GraphQL, Apollo and Redux to query, manage and store data and state
- Koa for RESTful APIs
- MySQL and PostgreSQL for data storage
- CircleCI for automated builds and staging deployments
At Bulb we want to hire people with the experience necessary to get going quickly, but who are also interested in learning new things and are comfortable working in a changing environment.
We think the following will be valuable, but we're also open-minded. If you recognise yourself in any of these traits we’d love for you to send us an application:
- You take pleasure from clear code, see writing tests as an integral part of the development process and understand the benefit of writing code and tests in small increments
- You are keen to learn new technologies and have ideas about how we make things better
- You like solving both real world and technical problems
- You are an enthusiastic team player who enjoys collaborating across teams and departments
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organised and autonomous pods. The key features of this structure are:
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Scrum/Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the team are working on.
- We’re use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- We reflect the Bulby working culture.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy.
- Training budget of £1000 a year, plus five working days to spend on professional or personal development. You can use this for training courses, books or conferences.
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more.
- After a year at Bulb, you can take an additional month of unpaid leave to travel, work on personal projects or simply to recharge and reboot.
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave.
- We all own a bit of Bulb.
- Activities to improve your mental and physical well being including office yoga, meditation and Sanctus coaching.
- Healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme and a cycle to work scheme.
Application Closing Date: June 2019